Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey recently said, “Now is an exciting time for PCYC, the Capri Theater, and the West Broadway Corridor.” With the groundbreaking for our new building scheduled for this September, we couldn’t agree more.
The new Capri Theater will offer the exceptional programs and spaces that North Minneapolis deserves, including a smartly renovated theater, a Best Buy Teen Tech Center, community spaces, and much more. The design blends and connects the old with the new; integrating enhancements to the current theater while creating a distinctive new structure wrapped around the west and south of the current building.
The Summer Camp Capri production of Four Little Girls by Christina Ham, at 7 p.m. Thursday, August 9 will be the last performance in the theater before ground breaking preparations begin. Once the theater is closed, Capri programming will shift to various Northside locations:
- First Thursday Films @ the Capri will screen at North High School, 1300 Irving Ave. N., starting September 6.
- The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra’s Chamber Music Series @ the Capri concerts will be held at Sanctuary Covenant Church, 710 West Broadway, starting October 5. SPCO’s Start the Music and Xplorchestra concerts for children and families will also be held at the Sanctuary Covenant location.
- Legends @ the Capri is on hiatus until the spring 2019 Legends gala Capri fundraiser, details to be announced.
- Capri Glee!, Capri After School Theater (CAST) and Camp Capri Third Saturdays activities move to PCYC, 2210 Oliver Avenue N., starting this fall.
- Freedom of Xpression is on hiatus until fall 2019.
- The Capri will be available for rent through the end of July. Booking for the 2019-2020 season in the new facility will begin later in the fall.
The Capri Theater is owned and operated by Plymouth Christian Youth Center (PCYC). More info about PCYC, the Capri’s expansion and renovation and the Capri Capital Campaign is available at thecapritheater.org. Questions may also be directed to Capri Director James Scott at email@example.com.