As “Black Friday” approaches, many of you will take to the stores to buy gifts for loved ones to celebrate the holiday season. With all of that holiday merchandise leaving stores, it creates a fertile environment for thieves who would rather take than give, and the Minneapolis Police would like to remind you of some common-sense tips to keep the sticky-fingered criminal from ruining your holiday.
- Take the extra time to close your purse and keep it with you while shopping or in public places – this will reduce the opportunity for thieves to take wallets and other valuables out of shopping carts.
- Secure all valuables including purchased items in your trunk of your vehicle.
- When parking your vehicle to go shopping, remember where you parked it, and always park in a well-lit and well-traveled area.
- Please make sure lock your vehicle after you park it to go shopping.
- Never leave your vehicle running with keys in it.
- If you make a purchase with your credit card, be sure to obtain a copy of your receipt or see that they are destroyed in front of you.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, keep your eyes up and your phone out of sight.
If you follow these basic tips, you will more than likely avoid losing your gifts, belongings and identity to those who would steal away your happy holiday.